3220 Posvar Hall
- PhD, 2004, Department of Social Policy and Administration, London School of Economics and Political Science
- Master's, 1998, Energy Management and Environmental Conservation, Middlesex University, London
- Post-graduate Diploma, 1996, Development Studies, Birkbeck College University of London
- BSc, 1994, Management, with Honors, London School of Economics
Teaching and Research Areas
Public and nonprofit/nongovernmental organization management, civil society and public affairs, environment and development policy, corruption and transnational governance, impact of new technologies on policy and organizations.
Select Publications and Funded Research
- Non-Governmental Organizations and International Development(with D. Lewis and N. Kanji). Under contract with Routledge Press[forthcoming 2019].
- Nonprofits in Crisis: Economic Development, Risk and the Philanthropic Kuznets Curve, Indiana University Press, 2013.
Articles and Chapters in Edited Books
- “Government Size, Nonprofit Sector Strength and Corruption: A Cross-National Examination,” American Review of Public Administration, Vol. 44, No.3, pp. 309-323. 2014.
- “Reassessing the Impact of Civil Society: Nonprofit Sector, Press Freedom and Corruption,” Governance, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 63-89, 2013.
- “Governing Ambiguities: Forms of Local Governance and Civil Society,” book review, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, 15 (5): 475-478, 2013.
- “International Non-Government Organizations (INGOs).” In in Mark Juergensmeyer and Helmut K. Anheier (eds.) Encyclopedia of Global Studies, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publishers, 2011.
- “Dotcauses.” In Helmut K. Anheier and Stefan Toepler (eds.), International Encyclopedia of Civil Society, New York: Springer Reference, 2010.
- “Gender and the Nonprofit Sector,” Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 663-683, 2009.
“International NGOs: Scale, Expressions and Governance,” with H. Anheier, in Volker Rittberger, Martin Nettesheim and Carmen Huckel, Changing Patterns of Authority in the Global Political Economy, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008.
- “Linking the Web and the Street: Internet-based ‘Dotcauses’ and the Anti-globalization Movement”, with J. D. Clark, World Development, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 50-74, 2006.
- “Governance and Management of International Organizations,” with H. Anheier, Brown Journal of World Affairs, Vol. XI, Issue 2, pp. 185-198, 2005.
- “The Internationalization of the Nonprofit Sector,” with H. Anheier, in Robert D. Herman (Ed.) The Jossey-Bass Handbook of Nonprofit Leadership and Management (2nd Edition), San Francisco, CA.: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- “Evolution Lines of International NGOs,” with H. Anheier and M. Freise, in: Birkh�lzer, K., Klein, A., Priller, E. (eds.), Third Sector, Third System: Theory, Function and Social Perspectives, pp.17-40, Wiesbaden: VS Publishing House [published in German], 2005.
- “Transnational Civil Organizations and Organizational Development”, with H. Anheier and M. Freise, Research Journal on New Social Movements, [published in German], Vol. 16, Issue 2: 77-96, 2003.
- “The Age of Protest: Dot-causes’ and the Anti-globalization Movement,” with J. D. Clark, in J.D. Clark (Ed.), Transnational Civil Society Action, London: Earthscan, 2003.
- “Transnationalisation Challenges in the Trade Union Movement,” with D. Muro-Diaz, in J.D. Clark (Ed.), Transnational Civil Society Action, London: Earthscan, 2003.
- “Annotated Bibliography of Social Services in Portugal,” with L. Alfredson, in Anheier, H. K. (Ed.) Social Services in Europe: Annotated Bibliography, Frankfurt: Observatory for the Development of Social Services in Europe, 2003.
- “Management of International Membership Organizations,” with Helmut Anheier, in Christiane Frantz and Annette Zimmer (eds.): International Civil Society: Old and New Global Players [published in German], pp. 303-328, Opladen: Leske and Budrich, 2002.
- “Organisational Forms in Global Civil Society”, with H. Anheier, Global Civil Society Yearbook, Vol. 2, pp. 191-216, 2002.
“The Diversity of NGO Organizational Challenges,” with Alejandro Natal, Convergencia, [published in Spanish], Vol. 3, No10, pp. 241-270, 1996."Annotated bibliography of social services in Portugal,” in Anheier, H. K. (Ed.) Social Services in Europe: Annotated Bibliography, Frankfurt: Observatory for the Development of Social Services in Europe, 2000.
Policy Reports and Research Working Papers
- Association of Researchers on Nonprofit Organization and Voluntary Action, Nonprofit Research Metrics: A Rapid Survey, Report prepared for the Ad-Hoc Research Committee, 2010.
- The Forbes Funds, From Adequate to Outstanding Performance: Propositions on Nonprofit Organizational Life Cycles, with K. Kearns, P. Nelson, L Hailey, and G. Dougherty. Pittsburgh, 2006.
- European Foundations Center, Brussels, Philanthropic Foundations in Portugal: Roles and Visions, Report for the comparative research project Roles and Visions of Foundations in Europe, coordinated by H. Anheier and S. Daly, 2003.
- Coalition to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers, London, Organisational Structure Options for International NGOs, 2001.
- Amnesty International, Organizational Design for International NGOs, Report commissioned by Amnesty’s board as part of the organization’s Millennium strategic reorientation, 2000.
- “Organisational Environment and NGO Structure in Mexico and Portugal: What Does the Literature Tell Us?” Discussion paper at the Interdisciplinary Program for the Study of the Third Sector, Toluca: Colegio Mexiquense, Mexico, 2000.
Consultancies, Public Service, and Awards/Honor
- Best Book Award from the Academy of Management, Public and Nonprofit Division, 2016
- Article of the Year in the American Review of Public Administration, American Political Science Association, 2014
- Article of the Year in the Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, ARNOVA, 2010
- Award for the Best Article in Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, Association of Researchers on Nonprofit and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA), 2010.
- Teacher of the Year Award, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, 2011.
- Innovation in Teaching Award, Office of the Provost, University of Pittsburgh, 2008.
- Best Conference Paper Award (finalist), Association of Researchers on Nonprofit and Voluntary Action, 2008.
- Faculty of the Year, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, 2006
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, 2006
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, 2005
- Fellow, Science and Technology Foundation, Portugal, 2004
- Editorial Board Member, Global Civil Society Yearbook, London School of Economics, 2001 - 2009
- Fellow, Lord Dahrendorf, Centre for Civil Society, London School of Economics, 2001
- Winner of the Avaya Competition on Corporate Social Responsibility, London, 2000
- Titmuss Meinhardt Fellowship, Social Policy, London School of Economics, 1999
- Finalist of 29th ICS International Management Symposium, St. Gallen, Switzerland, 1999
- Research grant, Agreement for Bilateral Cooperation between Portugal and Mexico, 1997
- Editorial Board Member, Millennium, Journal of the International Relations Department, LSE, 1996 - 1997
- Amnesty International
- International Coalitions to Stop the Use of Child Soldiers
- Economic and Social Research Council (UK)
- International Studies Association
- Association of Researchers in Nonprofit and Voluntary Action
In Submission and in progress
- Article on the impact of civil society and media freedom on corruption. [Revised and resubmitted.]
- Article on the impact of nonprofit sector size on corruption. [Revised and resubmitted.]
- Article on the impact of government sector size on corruption. [Under review.]
- Article on the evolution of private foreign aid. [In progress.]
- Book manuscript on the relationship between women's empowerment, diversity and civil society. [In progress.]
- Fall 2007: Economics of Development
- Fall 2007: Managing Organizations in Development
Other Faculty and Academic Administration Positions
- Center for Latin American Studies, University of Pittsburgh, Affiliated Faculty, 2003-present
- Center for Global Studies, University of Pittsburgh, Affiliated Faculty, 2003-present
- Center for African Studies, University of Pittsburgh, Affiliated Faculty, 2003-present